Bakersfield, CA– Undergoing a cosmetic dental treatment is a big commitment. Perhaps you spent a lot of time shopping around online for the perfect person for the task. But how do you know you’re getting the best value for your money? How do you know the dentist will provide you with exactly what you want? In times of uncertainty, a second opinion can go a long way in optimizing your outcome.
Why get a second opinion?
When it comes to something as important and long lasting as your oral health, you shouldn’t take any shortcuts. Consider getting a second opinion in cases like these:
- You feel uneasy or uncomfortable in the dentist’s office; you may get the sense that something isn’t quite right. Listen to your gut instinct; you will likely have to revisit the office numerous times throughout the duration of your care.
- You’re not sure if your dentist is qualified or experienced enough for the job. Make sure the dentist is accredited by The American Board of Cosmetic Dentistry or The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). Luckily, it’s very easy to search online for an AACD dentist in your area.
- The dentist’s treatment plan doesn’t sound in line with your own goals. Perhaps it’s more than you can afford or is much more involved than you were planning at this stage. Maybe the proposed treatment is not necessary or won’t fully address your primary concern.
Other factors to consider
Since your mouth is a crucial part of your overall health, your dentistry work shouldn’t be taken lightly. To make sure you get the high-quality care you deserve, also consider these points when choosing a dentist:
- Before and after photos. An experienced dentist will have photos of his or her own work on display for all to see. Be wary of those who cannot or do not provide examples of their work.
- Patient reviews. Don’t be afraid to ask around to see if you know patients treated by the dentist you’re considering. You can also look online to see patient reviews. Dentists know their reputation can make or break their practice, so information from others can help you in your decision.
- Available technology and lab services. Materials and technological resources vary greatly from practice to practice. Ask for a tour of the office you’re considering and makes sure everything is reasonably up-to-date. Don’t be afraid to question the materials and technology used for various procedures. For example, what kind of fillings does the dentist use for cavities? What alignment options are offered?
- Ask about the dentist’s experience with your procedure. If you’re considering porcelain veneers or dental implants, exactly how many times has the dentist performed this treatment? Feel free to ask for exact numbers and to compare dentists’ answers as you shop around for your perfect match.
The next step
Ultimately, when searching for a dentist who best meets your needs, you need to feel comfortable and confident that you will get the best care possible. Your dentist should be happy to work with you and explain procedures and other information in a way that you understand. Make sure you’re offered a treatment plan completely tailored to your goals, and that all of your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
If you’d like a second opinion about a dental procedure, schedule an appointment with Dr. Frank and his professional, experienced Bakersfield-area team today!
© 2017 Millionairium and Dr. Thomas Frank. Authorization to post is granted, with the stipulation that Millionairium and Dr. Thomas Frank are credited as sole source. Linking to other sites from this document is strictly prohibited, with the exception of herein imbedded links.